Since the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing is upon us this year, these are my own experiences of where I was at during that incredible time.


During the early summer of 1964, the Balli family moved from the states to Quito, Ecuador. My father Calvin was enlisted in the Army and was assigned to the US Embassy for the next 3 years. Before our arrival, he briefed my brothers and me on the purpose of our stay, which was to obtain information on Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara. The embassy found us a two story house on the slopes of Pichincha, a nearly 16,000 foot volcano overlooking the city of Quito. From our house we could see Mount Cotopaxi, the highest volcano in the world due to the equatorial bulge of the earth. The scenes of the Andean mountainscape was breathtaking and promised many exploratory adventures for young boys!


My father would let us know when a rocket would be launched from Cape Canaveral so we could anticipate watching the night sky to see the spacecraft (in the form of a tiny bright dot) whiz by the star-filled sky. It was so cool to witness this history since humankind had never seen a feat like space travel before! We would never know what the flight plan would be during these missions but were confident that the tracking station on top of Mount Cotopaxi would communicate with the spaceman in flight.



In 1957, before I even knew about space travel and before satellite technologies, NASA and the United States built a tracking station on top of Mount Cotopaxi. It was to be used to monitor the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo spaceships that flew in orbit high overhead. There were also 18 other mini tracking stations used around the world to communicate with Houston's mission control. Many future astronauts would train on the slopes of Cotopaxi learning the skills and strategies for an eventual flight to the moon. Military pilot, Neil Armstrong was one of them.



The science of men in space was in its infancy and the United States was desperately trying to keep up with the Soviet Union who was leading the space race with Sputnik and had already placed the first man, Yuri Gagarin, in orbit. On October 3rd 1962, Mercury capsule Stigma 7 was launched from Canaveral, Florida. Pilot spaceman, Wally Schirra named his spacecraft using the mathematical symbol for summation as appropriate for an engineering evaluation and the number 7 to refer to the seven original Mercury astronauts. Passing over Quito, towards the end of his fifth orbit of six, Schirra was asked by the engineers at the tracking station if he had any message to pass on in Spanish to the people below who were watching. He made some comments on how beautiful Ecuador was from space, ending with a friendly “Buenos Dias, y'all!” Wally noted later that he was mad as hell at this point since he was preparing his dangerous re-entry and didn't want to make any public statements.


Later, In 1966, Neil Armstrong and other astronauts came to visit Quito and I got to see him pass by in a parade motorcade while my father filmed with his Super 8 movie camera. The streets were lined so heavily with people that the motorcade at times had to slow to a crawl while Neil and famed pilot Dick Gordon shook people's hands. The third man sitting in the car of the film and smiling at me and my dad was the US Ambassador, Wymberley D. Coerr. Later that afternoon I got to see Neil speak at the US Embassy. I was so impressed with this guy not realizing at the time he would be the first man to walk on the moon!!! Ecuador treated him like royalty!



The reason for the motorcade was to celebrate the two astronauts and the service they did for NASA and Ecuador. Neil had just made his first spaceflight as command pilot of Gemini 8 in March 1966, becoming NASA's first civilian astronaut to fly in space. During this mission with pilot David Scott, Neil performed the first docking of two spacecraft. The flight was aborted after Armstrong used some of his re-entry control fuel to stabilize a dangerous roll caused by a stuck thruster. During training for Armstrong's second and last spaceflight as commander of Apollo11, he had to eject from the Lunar Landing Research Vehicle moments before it crashed. The film of this event is historical and you can see Neil parachuting down near the burning vehicle. He proved he had the right stuff to become the first man to walk on the moon.


Dick Gordon served as backup pilot for the Gemini 8 flight. In September 1966, he made his first space flight as pilot of Gemini 11. At the time, the flight set an altitude record of 851 miles, which stands as the highest earth orbit ever! Gordon was one of only 24 people to have flown to the moon, as the Command Module pilot of Apollo12. The world over, people loved these spacemen and their crazy flying machines.


It's funny that years later my love for NASA and Neil Armstrong in particular would culminate to a final crescendo...and on a very special moment of my life. Fast forward to July 19, 1969. I was celebrating my 16th birthday while Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins were in the moon's orbit expecting to touchdown soon. I was sure hoping that the Eagle would land on my birthday. It was a hot summer night in Killeen, Texas where I and a few friends had a sleepover during this most famous event in history. We were glued to the TV along with people all over the globe!


On July 20th, the spaceships separated and pilot Neil Armstrong, with seconds to spare on fuel, landed the Lunar Module on the moon. Even though it wasn't my birthday, this landing was so monumental and small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. I mean who could write something as profound as that? Neil did!!! He will forever be a most celebrated hero in my life as are Lewis and Clark and Thomas Jefferson. But my father Calvin who gave me the opportunity to experience all these momentous events of my life is my Numero Uno Hero. Thanks dad in heaven.


I can't believe this event is now 50 years old in 2019. It is also fifty years that I have called Houston home and mission control is nearby. Come and visit to see the place for yourself sometime. Look up at the moon and know that American spacemen where there too. Someday soon men and women will be there again.

(NOTE: In honor of the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary on PBS,
I am writing this story from my own experiences during that time frame.)


I was a teenage army brat living in Fort Hood,Texas, which was at the time the largest Army base in the free world. My family lived there starting in 1967.


I was a cool looking dude transplanted from Galveston, Texas who was going through the usual growing up pains so I found ways to grow closer to the world through music, fashion clothing, and girls. I also became involved in the wonderful pop art movement that was going on. Killeen (the city adjacent to Fort Hood) was a pretty cool place for a teenaged Army brat and I have many fond memories.


In Killeen there were a lot of things going on. Hollywood movies and movie stars were a gas, the Beatles and Stones were at their peak, the first Killeen McDonalds and Der Wienerschnitzel opened for business, and the GI anti-war movement heated up. For us freaks (longhairs) we used many cool sayings like far out man or keep the faith and we certainly resented plastic people. We spoke about peace and everything groovy, had a positive outlook, and we obeyed the law. Killeen was a happening place and the Oleo Strut provided a venue with a San Francisco-like feel of the late sixties. I was a teen and in the best years of my life.


My good friend, Obe Arrevalo ran the projectors at his dad's drive-in theater on the outskirts of town. His dad would lend Obe his Chevy Nova and we would cruise the streets and see all the new movies for free. I would also help thwart the trunk stowaways who tried to sneak into the theater. Another friend was Ricky Luper, who had a brand new Shelby Cobra but mostly we just walked everywhere. We either roamed the street of Rancier or got a ride from a friend. Ricky and I would listen to The Doors, Hendrix, and played our own music in his garage.


As a teenager I lived the life of an Army brat so I learned about the privileges and military perks early. We bought what we wanted (such as clothing, watches, etc. at deeply discounted prices) from the Annex or PX. My friends and I would also go on base, borrow guitars, instruments, amps, PA equipment then reserve time in the Army sound studios. We spent a lot of time playing music so I really got better on my guitar. They also had an NCO club on base where we attended teen parties, ate burgers, and played Bingo. What fun we had!


Later, my father bought an off-base two-story house on Lake Belton South near the outskirts of town. He then left my mother and six children to fight a senseless war in Vietnam. My siblings and I went a bit wild during the next 14 months while my dad was away. Over all, we had a blast! (I still cannot imagine what he went through since he did not speak of his experiences. He won a bronze star for saving himself and two other guys from a thrown hand grenade in camp then became a Master Sargent and served with distinction. Earlier in his military career, he fought heroically facing hundreds of Chinese protecting the border of South Korea. He honored the corp.)


In 1968, activism against the war was all around us even in that predominately military town. I couldn't help but get interested and started a band surrounded by friends who had similar anti-war values. Ricky Luper, Obe Arrevalo, Chris Price, Henry Irrizari, and Alex Gonzales, and I would perform rock songs at local Killeen parks, Lake Stillhouse Hollow, and at various friends' homes. Chris would always get huge kudos for playing his Farfisa organ on Light My Fire just like The Doors' record.


The hippie movement was in full force so I learned how to sew bell bottom pants from my grandmother who would treadle her feet up and down to the rhythm of the sewing needle. I was a Modnik, had a flare for anything British, and was styled up for the teen club scene.


At 15 years old, I met my first girlfriend in a Killeen High School art class. Initially, our similar artistic ambitions brought us together but we had a lot in common. The Who was our favorite band, our fathers had just left for Vietnam, I played guitar and first started writing my songs, she painted beautiful art, and took wonderful photos...we were both ripe for experience in the culture of the day. Our mothers did their best to keep us in line while our dads were fighting in the jungles far away.


Our high school had a pretty good football team so Janie and I would go to all the games and hold hands. Occasionally, I would get a nice kiss. Yong Ye was the football player to watch since he had a blackbelt and was popular. At times, our art class would get to develop film in the darkroom so Janie and I could sneak in some together time. My lady friend was really sweet on the eyes and her eagerness for working with film was enticing.


1969 was the year I first experienced pot. Janie and I were staying the summer together in downtown Killeen at our friends' house (Tom and Charlotte) when she came to me with a lid one day. I was a bit shocked to see her pull a bag out of her purse and I resisted at first but gave in to the pernicious weed. My first high was in our hosts living room with two other couples. We had a blast spinning LPs, laughing, and talking. We spent a lot of that beautiful summer in that house wearing flowers in our hair, skinny dipping at Lake Stillhouse Hollow, seeking the infamous Goatman, picking up horny toads and tarantulas, making music, watching man land on the moon, and smooching. It was my Summer of Love!


The GI movement against the Vietnam war was in full mode. There was a lot of anti-war activity going on and people were voicing their opinions. One of America's most important coffeehouses was the Oleo Strut since it was the place to go for political activists. It came about as a printing press for the Vietnam GI, an underground newspaper that was written by GIs about daily reports coming out of Saigon. American soldiers from around the world would gather for coffee and discuss how they could help end the war. (Read about the Oleo Strut.)

I would often pick up a copy of the Vietnam GI and loved to read the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and observed pictures and stories of the true news media from the front line. (We did not trust the mainstream news.) I do not remember when I first went to the Oleo Strut but I know Janie and I would go there for the art and music scene. The printing press was always churning out papers and the coffeehouse encouraged artistic expression so we would use our talent by painting anti-war posters and banners. The message was clear...End the War! I was inspired by Peter Max so I drew and painted like him in colored pens.


I listened to many eye-opening conversations about the soldiers' personal war involvements. The Oleo Strut was an underground community and the government knew of it well. I saw many citizens and GIs go in to protest and finally made up my mind that I wanted my father back! I loved my dad and didn't want him to come home in a body bag. I too protested and became aware of what much of the real military thought about Vietnam.

One day, I caught the buzz that Jane Fonda was coming to Hood...and well fellas, she was Jane...the sexy Barbarella of movie fame! So yes I wanted to see her in person. My friends and I arrived early as the crowd surrounded the Oleo Strut podium. We listened to the anti-war speeches then followed Jane with hundreds of others to walk the loop around downtown. We gave out newsletters and chanted about our cause. It was great to hear the cheers of this peaceful rally. There were no arrests even though the smell of herb filled the air.


I want to honor those brave young men who went to Vietnam and those I spoke to at the Oleo Strut. I know some are gone and others are still living to tell their stories (or choosing not to tell them). We fought for a righteous cause and helped spread the message. I was there!!

I began my trip to Chaco Canyon in the fall of 1986 while working as an illustrator for an oilfield company. I drove my white 1984 Jeep Laredo from Houston to Amarillo, then along Route 66 to Albuquerque. Just before Gallup on Hwy 40 I headed north on Road 371, a partially paved road of about 65 miles. The scenery was a dry desert of canyons and cattle guards. As I slowed down to drive over the rumbling guards, I was reminded of how these cows could live in this hostile country in the first place! Its dry, hot, rocky, and sandy road was a slow-goer with a lot of potholes.


The primitive site I was driving to has the same mystic lore as Stonehenge in England, Mexico's Teotihuacan, or Peru's Machu Picchu. In northwest New Mexico, the canyon ruins were once a valley of pine trees in the year 850AD. Now the trees are all gone and nothing green growing can be seen here. At its peak population of a thousand Pueblo Anasazi, they lived in an adobe D shaped structure consisting of rock-walled living areas and large ceremonial Kivas. It was the center of trade and rituals in its day. According to the canyon cliff's petroglyphs and Pueblo Bonito itself, the people worshiped the solar and lunar cycles. In 1987, UNESCO proclaimed Chaco Canyon as a World Heritage site for International Dark Sky Park preservation. There are no city lights for hundreds of square miles and it is a night photographer's and astronomer's paradise. You can experience the night sky as you have never seen it before. 

If you arrive, just as the solar solstice is at its peak, you can view the sun rays filtering through a rock crack onto a petroglyph spiral known as a sundagger. (I saw the spiral but was not there during the solstice.) The Anasazi studied the stars and planets so this site attracted ancient astronomers and star worshipers from far off places. Not only did they trade textiles, precious stones, and pottery, they passed on information to Mesa Verde and to other historic sites. During that time the land was fertile and had plenty of water but it became depleted so the people left. Today it is dry with no irrigation.

After a nearly two hour drive, I eventually arrived to the parking lot near Pueblo Bonito. The going was slow and the scenery wasn't much to look at until I finally saw the cliffs that protect the pueblo city of yesteryear. After a brief lunch of a prepared sandwich, I was in awe and couldn't wait to walk around this ancient place. I took a solo walking tour of the many rooms and sat among Kivas in almost a meditation-like mood. I was thinking how it must have been for these people to store grains, prepare food, and to communicate with their neighbors in this commune-like atmosphere and could still see the blackened walls where cooking stoves were located. I spent several hours in and around Pueblo Bonito and experienced an ancient education. I then walked back to my Jeep to get my backpack with food and camping gear.


In 1986, Pueblo Bonito did not have a visitor's center but the front Chaco Canyon entrance gate was locked at dusk (miles away). So I camped where I wanted without the park rangers knowing of my whereabouts. I headed past Pueblo Bonito and followed a walking trail where I saw others go earlier. I reached a point where I could climb timeworn cliff steps then blazed my own trail. The cliff rose to about 80 feet high and ran along the side of the pueblo's walls and chambers. (In recent times that cliff's precarious leaning rock wall caved in and destroyed some of the back walls and rooms. The park cleaned up the mess and they found many artifacts that were hidden and now reside at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.)


About halfway up, I took a tobacco break on a ledge. I was probably the last person in the park and could see my Jeep sitting by itself in the parking lot. I was in heaven! I experienced that ancient site like an old medicine man! The smoke was working and I felt like Indiana Jones in the Temple of the Anasazi. As I looked around me, my senses were very keen and I saw something very strange poking out of the sandstone cliff. I got up and bent down for a better look. It was a molcajete still embedded in its hiding place for centuries!! I couldn't believe my luck on finding this artifact. I got a knife out of my backpack and slowly chiseled it out of its hold in the cliff. I slowly removed the find and cleaned it up. The bowl still had an ear of corn marking on the grinding surface where a woman used it to make her masa. (Was there an ear of corn left to embed its shape through wind, sun, and time?) I also found the grinding stone. I was so excited and searched all over for other treasures but didn't find anything else. I then wrapped a towel around my find and placed it in my backpack.


I finally made it to the cliff top as the sun went down then walked to a place almost directly above Pueblo Bonito. I sat on a large ceremonial rock at the cliff's edge and made my camp nearby. After pitching my tent and making a small fire, I ate dinner then took off all my clothes. I proceeded to smoke and mediate on that rock where generations of medicine men and Anasazi people must have sat before me. For hours, I danced around my campfire and communed with ancient spirits. It was such a sacred place to glance down to the valley below and to the bright stars above. I was high on life! This was such an incredible experience and one I hold so dear to my heart. New Mexico is definitely a land of enchantment. I eventually wound down and crawled into my tent.


The next morning, I drove to the other side of Pueblo Bonito canyon and saw petroglyphs and other ruins, but none of that mattered to me anymore since I had already experienced something precious I would never witness again. I left Chaco Canyon and now in 2017, I want to return and show my beloved Eileen the awesome park and look up into the black starry sky! Pueblo Bonito should be on your bucket list and maybe, just maybe, you can find an artifact like mine. Today you would need to report a find like that and you will never be able to take it home. I was lucky and couldn't resist. I proudly displayed that molcajete for years with my other odd curios, but someone stole it from my home. I was upset for years but got over it.


Please stay tuned for other stories of a lifetime of wonderful experiences.


Peace friend.


As an army brat in 1966, my father gave my brother and me the opportunity to use his 22 Remington rifle and shotguns. He bought them from a friend and my dad would show us how to use them safely.


We lived on the slopes of Pichincha, which has an elevation of nearly 10,000 feet above Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Our house sat very near an earthquake crack that skirts down the volcano called a cabrada where we would explore. My father would often take us boys into the Eucalyptus forest across our street to hunt small animals and to practice using the firearms. So my older brother, Arthur and I became very experienced in using my dad's guns.


I remember once when I first used his shotgun, my father braced it onto my shoulder and carefully showed me how to squeeze the trigger. I did and the force knocked me down and the recoil really scared me. It was a loaded double barrel, and as I fell backwards I unintentionally aimed the gun right at my dad with my finger on the trigger!!! He quickly yelled at me not to pull the trigger and to point it away from him. We both were very scared!!! Eventually, I received further training and could use the shotgun confidently, but I loved using his 22 rifle better. The smell of gunpowder was very pleasant to me and I can still smell that pungent aroma...heavenly.


My father loved dove hunting and on three occasions he took us to the slopes of Cayambe, a nearly 19,000 foot volcano on the bulge of the Equator. It was a favorite site for hunting the beautiful Inca Dove. We walked the slopes of this majestic Andean mountain in pursuit of these juicy birds. On the equator, the snowline is very high at nearly 16,000 feet but the hilly terrain below have high pampas-like grass that hid these elusive birds. We occasionally got a peek of the seemingly close by snow capped peak as the misty cloud cover lifted now and then.


On this hunting trip, my dad's military buddies brought their hunting dogs who would walk along the grasses and flush out the doves. I shot ten as did my brother, the dogs would bring them back, then we would put them in our hunting vests. That day we brought home around fifty birds.


The beauty of the mountains, the dove song, and having such a wonderful father who really cared that his sons should have the opportunity to see the world made this hunting experience a wonderful adventure to remember. I really miss my dad.


This is only one of the beloved memories of my dad and I will share more with you soon.

Of all the experiences that I have gone through in my life, this story I am about to tell is perhaps my most daring, certainly my most foolish. Now that I am retired, I have been waiting for the day when I could share this extraordinary event to my fans and friends.

In the last part of the eighties, I took a work assignment from a local Mexican construction firm in Houston, Texas and was hired to manage the inventory of hardware such as nails, power equipment, braces, etc. out of a trailer in Annapolis, Maryland. Also, since I was a board draftsman, I was familiar with drafting and reading blueprints and schematics.

In the early summer of 1988, I left to Maryland as part of a start up crew in a Ford F250. The owner of the company rented a nice apartment for us where I bunked in with four other individuals. We joked around and really had a great time together. The guys also helped me improve my Spanish and I helped them learn English. They also taught me about construction.

On the first day of the job, the slabs for a retirement facility were already set and I helped my friend Roy pop down the chalk lines of the walls that were soon to be built, which took a week to do. As the days went on, all the crews started coming in. The forklift operator brought in the two by fours and roofing materials and placed them near the area where the walls were going up. I would watch all the activity as I doled out the nails and kept an inventory spreadsheet on a brand new IBM computer. After the walls came the sheetrock.

There was so much energy around the building project and I became friends with everyone. We worked from sun up to sun down and were all exhausted by the time we got back to the apartment. I watched my friends from south of the border cook some interesting food, which did not all appeal to me. I often chose a hamburger from Hardees and the local fast food places instead. After work, I would go to the Annapolis wharf and check out the sites. I love history and there was so much of it around me in that historical area.

 One morning, while driving the guys to work, we passed a roadkill deer when one of them suggested that we pick up the carcass for a meal. Fresh meat! After work (twelve hours later), they insisted that I stop by the deer then they proceeded to tie it to the trunk since in Mexico, they were used to taking any opportunity to obtain free meat. We drove back to the apartment. In the parking lot, they skinned the deer then cut off choice pieces of meat. They boiled it but the stinky odor was very strong so I napped outside on the patio. One of the guys woke me up to a plate of tortillas, potatoes, and meat. I took one bite and wanted to puke! YUCK!! In turn, they each took a bite from their own plates then ended up throwing the putrid mess away.

Soon, we were constructing the third level and I began assisting the roofers by bringing them 4x8 foot sheets of plywood on my shoulder and back. I would literally run on top of the high trusses that were spread several feet apart and give them to a guy with the nail gun. I was in the best shape of my life! But there was much danger too. If I fell, I would probably have died or broken many bones. Thankfully, I have always had good sense of balance and dexterity even from childhood.

The construction site was huge consisting of about 800 units. Midway through the project, a buddy and I drove back to Houston to pick up more supplies and my car. I had a Pontiac Ventura with a honeycomb grill. (I really loved that car!) I also offered a job to my brother DJ and returned with a supply of a most wonderful herb from Oaxaca for the crew. Because I was the only guy who had a car, I would often take the guys on excursions.

On our trip back to Maryland, my buddy, DJ and I went through Mississippi and passed a KKK bus filled with members of the clan in their finest cloth gowns headed for a meeting somewhere. We sunk real low in our seats as we passed by because, I guess, of all the nervousness and the thought of the clan getting a hold of us and stringing us up from a hangman's tree. We were scared shitless!! I sped onward to get away from them and less than a mile ahead, I had a blowout! I pulled my car to the road side and quickly maneuvered behind some tall bushes. We got out of the car and were ready to run if necessary when they passed by. We sure were relieved when they didn't see us. Afterward, we fixed the flat and continued on to Maryland.

The weeks went by and on Sundays, I would drive some of the guys a few miles away to Washington D.C. where we would explore the Smithsonian, the National Zoo, view the monuments and points of interest. We must have gone to D.C. six different times and still did not see all the museums since there was so much there! On other weekends, I would drive to Baltimore or visit Mount Vernon.

As the end our assignment approached, I drove in to D.C. by myself. I passed Andrews Air Force base and couldn't help but stop and take some pictures. At the time, I had a 1970 Nikon F camera with Nikkor telephoto lenses. It was a beauty of a camera and was big, bulky and could be taken apart at the push of several buttons.

I pulled over and drove next to a hanger and parking lot never noticing a no trespassing sign that was posted there. I proceeded to walk onto the tarmac. Before me stood these huge B1 Bombers and fighter jets. I was in awe! I crouched down taking my pictures when suddenly I saw two soldiers with machine guns and German Shepherd dogs running toward me. I froze. They grabbed me and asked me what the hell I was doing and told me that I was trespassing. They then escorted me into a building and I was interrogated for four hours by the FBI, Secret Service, CIA and others. I felt so stupid. They took my camera away from me and developed the film. I told each and everyone of the men that what I did was the dumbest thing that I have ever done and that I was not a spy!

The feds went through my entire history and called my father, who was a retired lifetime military officer. Since I was embarrassed about the whole predicament, I implored them not to call my dad but they did anyway. He told them that I was foolish and that no, I was not a spy, just an IDIOT. I really didn't realize how serious my situation was. A little later, they escorted me to my car in the parking lot. They already went through my car but one of the officers asked me to reach under the driver's seat and pull out a bag. Uh Oh! I pulled out a plastic baggie and open it up for them to see. Inside, I had stashed two ounces of herb from Oaxaca. It was the most beautiful sinsemilla that you have ever seen...way before today's hydro. Now I was in deep shit!

They immediately took me back inside the interrogation room to drill me about the baggie. If prosecuted, I would have been going to a federal penitentiary in Bugtussle, Mississippi (or somewhere worse) then throw away the key. I really felt ashamed. They finally let me go but said I must return to face a judge to decide my fate.

I returned to work the next day then soon finished the construction job. I returned home to Houston and faced my father. He wasn't very proud of me but he forgave me. I soon returned to Washington D.C. to face trial where a judge read me a long passage then slapped me with a misdemeanor sentence and a year of probation for trespassing. He never did mention the pot! Apparently, the three soldiers who took me to my car split the herb and never reported it!! I was a free man.

I know, some of you who are reading this today are thinking, that this story can't be true but it did happen long ago. I am now older and wiser and have waited for the right time and place to tell my story (especially since the country's marijuana laws are changing). I am no criminal...crazy maybe, stupid yes... but I never hurt anyone but myself. In the end, the feds let me go and told me to never set foot on Andrews Air Force base again. I haven't and never will! Boy did I learn a good lesson there and then.

In reflection, I know I was wrong. I thought that I was invincible and impervious to the law. I have always taken chances good and bad but they are a part of my history and memories. I saw those wonderful B1 bombers and huge fighter jets of the Reagan era and later found out that President Gorbachev was in town to meet with President Reagan...and I photographed his Russian jet!! The authorities never gave my film back but I did have some cool pictures of those incredible planes at Andrews. Now take heed that when you visit a government area and they post a no trespassing sign, I would advise you to not enter. It is not worth it. They had me against a wall taking my picture from every angle and for a split second they could have bashed my brains out with their rifles. I was really scared that day!!! Stupid too. I think the worst part of this incident was facing my father since I let him down. We all make mistakes though...forgive me Dad.

Thanks for reading my true story. I can't wait to share my next amazing story with my fans and friends. Until then, keep the faith and stay out of trouble.


As a baby boomer, I have been blessed to experience the initial sounds of the first wave of rock and rollers. I was there when Ray Charles and Elvis began their journey to the land of great music. Decca, Polydor, EMI, Chess Records, Stax and others were recording the jazz greats and guitar gods.


In my childhood homes, my father played a variety of records from all the great country guitar players to the soul of Memphis. It was like magic to my ears and my dad loved them all! Buddy Holly's ballads, Little Richard's high pitched screams, and Chuck Berry's jingles were leading the way to a new sound on the music scene.


I began my own musical sojourn one night in 1961 when Elvis came for a brief stay at a Bremerhaven, Germany hotel my father was managing while in the US Army. (How cool is that?!) We lived close by when I was just a seven year old kid, when my father directed my two brothers and me to watch four Liverpudlian lads on a local television station. The Beatles were playing live nearby at the Kaiserkeller in Hamburg. We kids watched as early rock and roll alchemy was being formed right before our eyes!


During those heady times, I was being influenced by the now called legends and the sounds of that era. I chewed on the sinews of famous melodies, the masterpieces and remarkable sounds that now surpass the test of time. We all have our favorites that periodically invade our radios, phones, and our dreams.


Lately, I have become concerned because as I grow older many of my musical influences are dying off. I am 64 and really missing the good old days of listening for our favorite songs on the radio and inviting friends over for an old-fashioned album listening party (complete with high fidelity pops and hisses). We were all much younger when I became aware that all the great recording technology was in its infancy. All the great musicians were creating and writing the how-to manuals of rock and roll.


One by one and than there's none...


I am missing those times when my ears were tuned in. We didn't have a cell phone or computers but we bought Fenders and Marshalls to emulate our heroes along with all the mesmerizing foot switches and pedals to dance on. My father bought a Teac recorder and would often create personal compilations of his record collection to listen to. He loved salsa music so we would listen to Tito Puenta and Xavier Chugat and would often dance with him and mom in the livingroom when he spun those beloved tunes. At other times, I would hear Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, and Miles Davis soaking the airways as they pioneered through my early years.


As I grew, my own tastes and musicianship evolved as well. Along with the Beatles and the sixties, I learned from geniuses like Bob Dylan, the Stones, Eric Burdon and the Animals, Eric Clapton, Rick Derringer, Dave Clark Five, The Kinks, Glen Campbell, and even good ole Johnny Cash. There were so many favorites that I could fill a book with their names and influencing compositions. The greatest baby boomers are leaving us one by one so I want to say to all of you who are still living, thank you for leaving your legacy in fine recordings for the future to enjoy.

As seasoned musicians, we don't play live music very much anymore, but play the recordings we will always do. Many of us are always grateful for that past time and every present moment we have when we play our guitar or instrument of choice. Contemplating on the phenomenal time frame we came from, we realize now that we led the way and preserved real rock and roll for eternal times.


I have hope for the future in music and know that future generations will eventually go back to the original template that was created in the golden era of true rock and roll, thus adding their names to history.


Them days...

Mardi Gras season is once again upon us so I would like to share a few memories of New Orleans as I remember them.


I live in the south, which some consider the middle of the country, so I only have a six hour drive by car to New Orleans. The place is happening and is the very best party you can ever join in just about any time of the year. I have been going there for years and each time is memorable.


A couple of years ago, I took my wife Eileen and her mother Barbara for The Big Easy's new years eve celebrations. We didn't know what to expect so we started walking down Bourbon Street to the laughs and sounds of hundreds of people in the streets. We went with the flow and grabbed at doubloons and colored necklaces thrown around by happy people. To our delight, we stumble onto a one person act where a man was sitting in a box with his baby face sticking out in a crib like contraption but when you really looked at him...he appeared to be a baby with a man-sized head and a cigarette in his mouth! Mama told him that it's bad for babies to smoke and he kept up the rapport and told her, "I'm sorry, Mama," and put out the cigarette. So funny!

I was sporting two beautiful redheads and they were looking mighty sweet in their exotic attire and colorful feather boas. I couldn't keep the fellas off of them! We all were dancing in the street and had so much fun and laughter. My then 67 year old mother-in-law was asked by several younger guys to dance (which she loves to do and can out-dance anyone I know) but they couldn't keep up with her! At one time two fellas were trying to cart her off with them but we reined her in and kept a bit closer together through the Bourbon Street craziness.


We continued making our way through the French Quarter and were dazzled at all the music and excitement. There were cat calls from above us for the girls to show off their boobs for doubloons. We did not comply but received our fair share of necklaces just the same. We would hear incredible musicians, watch fascinating magic and street acts, see painters create mini masterpieces, and my two happy campers had huge smiles and their laughter was heard all the way to Big Bend in West Texas.

We made time to pop into Harrah's French Quarter casino. I have never seen anything like it! I've never been to Vegas and gambling in Texas is illegal so I never got to go. We walked through a Roman like Parthenon and were put at ease with a humming mantra of slot machines. They also had a rotunda honoring New Orleans jazz greats as well. After losing a few bucks, the smoke filled air got to us so we departed and visited the art galleries along Decatur Street.


Eileen was in her element with her camera and we waited patiently for every shot. You can't rush art.


Later, we became hungry so we waited in line for some fine Cajun food at The Gumbo Shop on St. Peter Street behind Jackson Square. They make a praline sundae dessert that is to die for. It's basically vanilla ice cream with a pecan and coffee infused caramel sauce drizzled on top. My wife almost licked the bowl!


After a wonderful culinary experience, we headed to the Mississippi River to partake in a magical New Orleans style midnight! The sky lit up with bombs in the air during an awesome fireworks show while zydeco music played all around us. It was kind of weird to look up at the Jax Logo on top of Jackson Square's building. Displayed on top was the ugliest baby statue since Chucky. I don't get it. They have this giant baby with a new year's banner with a horrendous face. Apparently, the Crescent City has been using it for years. Anyway, we hugged and kissed at the stroke of midnight and held onto each other for warmth.


It was all a great adventure for me and my two lovely ladies.


TIP: We stayed in a Motel 6 at 4200 Old Gentilly Road outside of the French Quarter that was under ninety dollars for three. It was roomier and nicer than we expected!




 I have many memories of New Orleans since the 1970s and I would like to share a few highlights. I consider it the party capital of the United States. The Big Easy should be on your bucket list of places to see.


-- One time, I woke up with my face in the urine scented mud after a crazy Bourbon Street night on vermin infested Pirate's Alley. My friends and I had an all-nighter of drinking and fun. It was horrible! I must have passed out.


-- When hunger hit in the French Quarter, our go to meal was the Taki-Outi with their delicious chicken strip on a stick (or sausage or turkey).


-- We ate breakfast at the old Magnolia Bar and Grill on Decatur Street (now called Belle's Diner). The cooks wore ties with their white shirts and made you feel so special with their charm. Their breakfast of pancakes, bacon, eggs and coffee was so good but really it was the ambiance of the place that had a distinguished feel about it. Eating there was a celebration and man those cats could sing!


-- Riding the historic trolley cars throughout New Orleans' Garden District was an experience from a past era. The trolley would drive by many beautiful mansions and one of a kind shops so you could really get a feel of how it was a hundred years ago. Everything is so old and you just have to stop to take pictures. I love to talk with the locals to strike up a conversation. It's fun!


-- The big cemeteries are one of The Big Easy's treasures! It's crazy but there is wonderful carved art everywhere in these old, historic places. The above ground tombs are so old that they contain the disintegrated bones of several family members and maybe even a fresh body. Eerie...but cool!

-- In the 1970s, I took my sister Barbara, my cousin Tina, her friend Rosa, and a slew of other friends to Mardi Gras. We hooked up with my dear friend Jeanette in Gonzales, Louisiana who was the perfect hostess since she was from Louisiana and was big on history. Jeanette took us to the local cotton plantations and beautiful vistas of the Mississippi River. I especially loved how the moss hung to the old cypress trees. Jeanette also cooked up a fine meal of shrimp gumbo, jambalaya with Cajun rice, and pecan pie. We were in a soul kitchen in the heart of Delta country. Thanks Jeanette!!! Afterward, we all headed to New Orleans and had a ball eating, drinking, and having fun with the hundreds of others crowded on the streets. We picked a spot to watch the parade floats go by sponsored by their respective sororities. There were balloons in the air and doubloons flying everywhere! All you had to do was wait a moment and a necklace would hit you. You could also throw them back to other people since you had so many. It was so much fun! The highlight of that trip was watching this creepy Chester the Molester pervert open up his trenchcoat and rub himself on unsuspecting people. I saw him first then told a couple of my male friends to watch this guy in action. We laughed and laughed as he went along the hundreds of people who were watching the parade. As the girls would reach up to grab a thrown necklace, ol' Chester would mosey on over and hump the unsuspecting girl. He must have been caught a million times but he still did it. So I warned my sister and the girls to watchout. When he came to us, I can't remember who confronted him with a hard elbow, he backed off and fell backwards painfully on the ground exposing himself to all of us. All the girls wanted to kick his ass, but us guys laughed so hard.


-- It was Fat Tuesday, the last day of Mardi Gras. My friends and I went to the Superdome to catch a big music concert. As my friend Richard and I were walking around the dome, we walked alongside the entourage of Dr. John the Night Tripper. He had just completed his show and he and his band of gypsies were ready to head into the dressing rooms. Richard and I acted like we were part of his posse and glided right into a big rotunda like waiting area. We sat down and marvelled at all the activity. On the doors of the performing artists of the evening were star shaped signs touting 'Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Dr. John, Jimmie Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds' and others. We were tickled pink to be there. It was exciting!


-- Last but not least, during the late 1970s, me and my Houston friends went to Mardi Gras to see Saturday Night Live's original cast, The Not Ready for Primetime Players!!! (SNL Mardi Gras Special) I saw Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, John Belushi and the rest of their team. They filmed their individual skits throughout the French Quarter so as you walked about from Jackson Square to Bourbon Street, you could watch them film their scenes. The best part of that experience was watching John Belushi snatch a beer can out of my friend Richard McKinney's hand, tilt it up to swallow the remains, then slam it to flatten it on his forehead. He then cracked a bull whip to the music from Rawhide when Dan Aykroyd couldn't crack it! Just like in the Blues Brothers movie, we got an early look at John and the bull whip skit. So cool!

In 1968, before the Dallas Cowboys became America's football team, they were the professional team for the state of Texas and under the leadership of coach Tom Landry, they were good, really good. Dandy Don Meredith was the quarterback in charge and he got his nose busted several times during games but kept on making touchdowns. Back then, the Cowboys made the playoffs but didn't go very far since they were a mediocre team. In 1969, Roger Staubach was drafted and he brought them to the promised land. Fans were then hooked!


When my father retired from the Army years ago, my family ended up in Fort Hood, Texas then moved to Houston. During the early seventies, we started watching football games on TV and I remember my mother slowly becoming a Dallas fan. How could you not?! Since the Houston Oilers had such dismal plays, Texas needed a winner. So we all (as a family) got hooked on the success of the Dallas Cowboys. They developed Hall of Fame players throughout those years and we got spoiled with the pride of Texas' football darlings. Eventually, my sister and her friends became huge fans along with the guys and my mom. We were all on board.


Strangely, my Houston friends hated this team, which I'll never understand. It doesn't matter where the team is from in Texas, my family supports and cheers them on especially when they meet the playoffs. My mother, Maura, feels the same way...cheering for our Texas teams! She is now in a nursing home and is in her last years of life but still gets excited when football season is here. Quarterback Tony Romo is her latest football hero. She loves that man and he can do no wrong in her 83 year old eyes! She also refers to the team as “My” Cowboys with such joy in her face.

I still remember my mom in 1995 when they won their latest Super Bowl Championship. She was sooooooooo happy but she always still yelled at the TV with the rest of the fans when a play was not up to her standards. She would jump up and high five anyone around when the boys scored. Mom's energy and sheer jubilation for the game outshone anyone I know. I've never seen a bigger fan! (The Dallas Cowboys made that time joyful even though she lost her baby boy, Edward, a few months before.) So if you are privileged to meet my mom during football season, you will usually see that her room and bulletin board is covered with Cowboys logos and memorabilia. She has been the matriarch of my family and is one of the oldest Cowboys fans in the world!!!! Unfortunately, she has never seen her team or met a Cowboy in person. I hope she hangs on for many more football seasons to come!


Now, my niece Michelle and her friends are huge fans like mom was. They are leading the crusade by having tailgate parties and seeing the games in person wherever they are playing as often as possible. Thank God for the Dallas Cowboys in helping my family stick together through both fumbles and touchdowns.


Love you Mom!



NOTE: We are also Houston Texans fans but the letdowns every year are tough. Come on Texans!!

In the fall of 1968, my friend Ricky and I were enjoying his birthday gift from his grandmother, a brand new olive green Shelby Cobra. We had Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild blaring from the car's radio as we roared out of Killeen for Waco, Texas. We were two adventurous fifteen year old lads having fun! I remember the look of Ricky's smile and laughter like it was just yesterday. Since he was so young (and may not have had a driver's license), we mainly took the back roads and I even got to drive that hot car.


Ricky and I had a jam band and we would often go to the Fort Hood Army base to rent sound studio time, which was free to military personnel. As an Army brat, I was privileged to obtain this service as well as renting all kinds of musical instruments for free. We would practice in Ricky's garage after school and had fun playing teen club parties.


We listened to all types of music and learned the chords of popular artists like Steve Miller. Living in the USA had just come out and I really dug the cadence of the song. The pop sound at the time was changing and American musicians were getting more respect since the British Invasion took over the world so creatively. The L.A. based band, Spirit was leading the way with their dramatic and unique artistic flare so when they were going to perform in Waco, Ricky and I had to see them. It was my very first concert!

The show was held at the old convention center and Spirit was there with other bands (which I do not remember). We were the only people in the audience who didn't light up. Seeing my hero, Randy California, sing back up and play his lead guitar put me in a state of pandemonium and a natural high. I was mesmerized by his guitar talent and the quality of his songs. After a instrumental intro, out of the wings came lead singer Jay Ferguson and the music really kicked into high gear when suddenly, he falls off the stage. For a few moments the music stopped then up hobbling and limping onto the stage, Jay began singing. They played three more songs then Jay called it quits since he was too hurt by the fall. Randy stepped up to sing and played his ass off. Wow! I was so impressed with the music these guys were playing...LIVE!! Spirit became my favorite band even today and were influential in my songwriting abilities. I have been listening to Mechanical World, Fresh Garbage, I Got a Line On You, 1984, Mr. have the world at your finger tips. I will listen to Randy California's guitar licks 'till I die!


In the late seventies, Spirit played at Liberty Hall in Houston. I got the word out to my circle of friends and about eight of us loaded up into two vehicles. Back then before the internet, you bought concert tickets at the door so you would arrive early for best seating then have your hand stamped so you could go in and out of the venue as you pleased. After we secured our seats, I motioned to my friend Eric Hayes to follow me outside for a smoke. (Eric was a friend who I met early in my travels to Ecuador. During this time, he was in Texas to find a job in Austin as a motorcycle mechanic.) As we were about to light up, out of a back door pops my hero Randy California! He also came out to smoke and asked us about Houston. We must have talked for about ten minutes then Eric passed him some punta rojo from Columbia. Randy then changed the subject to Peru, Ecuador and Columbia. He wanted to visit those countries someday.

 Randy was in a happy mood and had a cool Afro. He thanked us for the buzz then walked into the hall. We followed, took our seats, then told our other friends our story who did not believe us at first.


That night was really special and all of us got a treat with a performance of Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. I can't think of another American band ever to have such originality and Spirit was the personification of the great seventies bands. It's too bad that great bands break up. At one time, Randy almost formed a band with Jimi Hendrix! They were friends so Jimi gave Randy Wolfe his new last name as 'California'. If you were fortunate to have seen these guys live, you indeed saw the best. Randy California, Ed Cassidy, Mark Andes, John Locke, and Jay Ferguson will live in infamy.


If Randy California was alive today (he died in 1997), I would like to think that he would remember me and my stories. Just think...I got to meet Randy and had a smoke with him!!!


Thank you for reading my story. You can read other original tales from my life experiences at



NOTE: The attached photo rights belong to their respective owners.

I remember when...In the 1950's and 60's, technology was evolving in South America, but not as quickly as in The United States. They were way behind and even getting messages to the remote jungles of the Oriente and all of the Amazon delta took years to do. Pilots of small planes would try to communicate with the indigenous Indians by dropping small bags of food and toys and messages to the awestruck but frightened Natives. These were stories that I had read in National Geographic, Look, and other publications. Even going into the 1970's (and possibly even today), there were certain Indian people of the Ecuadorian jungles who still practiced shrinking heads and cannibalism rituals. The most famous of these are the Aucas and Jivaros.


In the fifties Jim and Elisabeth Elliott and several of their missionary friends attempted to connect with these people and convert them to Christianity and stop their barbaric and inhumane behaviors. Jim and two of his buddies would fly in a small Cessna and travel in a tight circle, drop a basket on a dime, and opened a line of communication with these headhunters. The Indian would take out the package and would leave a bone or offering to the “bird God from the sky.” Jim would pull the rope back up then return to their post. This went on for several times, but the guys needed to find a place to land nearby and speak with these people and film their native lifestyle. Several attempts were made in the following weeks to find a suitable site and soon they found a strip of smooth sand along a riverbed and landed. The men connected with these people and studied there ways briefly, only to be speared to death. This reverberated around the world and promoted a generation of Christian missionaries to the jungles of the Amazon. Jim's story and the headhunters of the Oriente was made into a movie called “The End of the Spear” which attracted a lot of attention in 2006.


Years later in 1966, I was a 13 year old Army brat in Quito, Ecuador. Near our house on the slopes of an Andean volcano, Pichincha is a playground for the young Indiana Jones kid I was. Eucalyptus forests gave way to tropical highlands and lush jungles. The land of the Jivaros wasn't very far away from our home and my father would keep us kids up to date of the world around us. We had heard the Jim Elliot story and others from my parents and my dad became a collector of Ecuadorean art such as wooden sculptures, wooden frames, paintings, Indian artifacts, ponchos, precious stones, and shrunken heads (which my mother refused to have in the house and he had to return them...Ha). I remember all the cool things he would show me and my brothers.


My father worked at Quito's U.S. embassy. As an official of the government, we were offered an opportunity to represent Americans abroad. My dad had a cool Buick Electra boated from his home town of Galveston, Texas so we drove around with class. Our Quito house was beautiful with high walls around the estate, which had glass shards to cut anyone who tried to climb over them. (I know that I'm getting away from my story but keep reading...) The U.S. embassy would assign maid service to the American families serving there. Since ours was a large family with five children, we were assigned two maids. Over time, we went through several women but one stayed on throughout our three year stint. Her name was Alicia. She lived in the attached room in the back and would leave Friday afternoons to stay with her missionary husband who had a church in the city.


Alicia's husband was working the Auca and Jivaro territory since he had good relations with the people offering a Christian hand, food, and skills. Often he would collect their relics and Alicia would sell them to my dad. One day she gave my dad a spear made by an Auca warrior and a news clipping of the story behind the weapon. It was made from the hardest wood of the Amazon, was black, and over six feet long. The point tapered into a serrated edge that ran about eight to twelve inches into a smooth shaft. Along the end of the serrated sides was twisted bamboo adorned with colorful feathers of parrots, hummingbirds, and other birds. We also received other interesting items from him including precious stones.


The news clipping of the spear was horrifying!!


During the mid sixties, these famous Aucas and Jivaros were furious enemies. A river separated their lands from each other and one day a group of Jivaro women crossed the river to collect yucca roots and plants to feed their families. A party of Aucas saw them and speared the women to death. Alicia's husband was nearby and came rushing to the scene. He captured a photo of the two women who were speared as they attempted to flee and met death on a canoe. The Aucas got away before they could collect their spears. This picture and story was captured in all the Ecuadorian newspapers. That is how Alicia got the spear and the news article for my dad, which tells the story of how these women died. (This is nearby where Jim Elliott and his friends were speared to death in the late fifties.)


Have I got your attention? It gets better.


My family kept that spear for many, many years. It was put on the wall in my dad's garage and was forgotten but later, for some reason, I moved back with my parents and slept in that room where the spear was kept. On two separate occasions, I came to fear that room. While I tried to sleep one night I turned over and laid on my stomach. I heard something and looked around. Suddenly I felt a weight on me. I couldn't breath. An evil spirit was choking me and pinning me to my bed. I could not free myself from this evil. It lasted for around twenty seconds and I could hear an evil voice in my ears that sounded of an old Auca woman laughing and saying something to the effect of “let me go!” I was finally freed and scared out of my mind. I looked up at the spear and suspected that was the reason I had this frightening experience.


Several days later, it happened again! I knew then that the spear was haunted so I told my older brother who was living in Minnesota about the horrifying incidents. He also had the same thing happen to him! I had to rid myself of this evil in our house.


About a week later, I wrapped the spear in a cloth along with its story (leaving out the evil spirits part) and drove to The Greenspoint Wyndham Hotel (an upscale hotel near Houston). I looked around the underground parking facility and finally came upon a fancy expensive Mercedes Benz. I took the spear and laid it gently near the driver's side then drove away. I was rid of the evil and never heard that bruja (sorceress) voice again. Thank God!


In hindsight and thinking about it now, I wish I would have donated the spear to the Fine Arts Museum. It could have been a wonderful addition to their South America exhibit and a cool spooky story. I need to tell you all that the voice was terrifying. I have lived a safe and fortunate life that many may never experience, but I'm here to tell you, there is evil and the devil lives. Jesus is my Savior and will always be the beacon of light that gets me through each day.


Thanks for reading my story! Stay tuned for more true adventures to come!


Keep the faith,



RSS feed

Check Out My Videos!

Sign Up for Updates!

Calvin Balli Music Newsletter

Share & Download My Music!

YouTube -- Twitter -- Facebook -- CD Baby --